Travel Grants ISSF
The International Society of Surgery Foundation (ISS/SIC Foundation) will offer a number of travel grants to young surgeons from developing countries who have demonstrated interest in teaching and research. The award will permit the recipient access to the 47th World Congress of Surgery WCS 2017 of the ISS/SIC in Basel, Switzerland, August 13-17, 2017. Awardees will have their registration fee waived. The award is to be a contribution towards travel, hotel and living expenses. Please note that the award is usually about $3,000 and may not cover the total coverage of these costs, which must be met from your own resources.
Applicants must be documented graduates of Schools of Medicine and younger than age 40 years. Applicants whose careers are in the developing stage are deemed more suitable candidates than those in senior academic positions.
Please include your date of birth in the application and a photograph preferably of passport size. Applications will be accepted only when the applicant is in surgical practice, teaching or research in a field of or related to surgery for a minimum of one year following completion of all formal training.
Individuals who are already economically funded by any third party may not apply for an ISS-Foundation Travel Grant. If any support is obtained while the ISS-Foundation Application is in process or already awarded, the ISS-Foundation office must be immediately informed.
· must have demonstrated a commitment to teaching and/or clinical or basic research in accordance with the standards of the applicant’s country of origin.
· should provide separate lists of all published scientific journal articles, book chapters and abstracts (avoid articles in press).
· must provide a short statement of personal goals and career objectives in the discipline of surgery.
· should have a working knowledge of English (proceedings of the ISS/SIC Congress are in English only).
· must submit a letter of recommendation from not more than three of their colleagues, one of whom must be the chairman of the department of surgery in which they hold their appointment. The chairman’s letter must include a specific statement detailing the nature and extent of the teaching and other academic involvement of the applicant.
· Travel scholars are required to submit a report of the experience provided through their scholarship to the Foundation office at the completion of the meeting.
Further information and travel award applications for the WCS 2017 in Basel, Switzerland can be obtained from the Administrative Office. Applications must be submitted electronically before February 15, 2017. Successful applicants will be notified by March 31, 2017. The award must be used for the Basel meeting, It cannot be postponed.
Successful applicants are required to follow the Travel Scholar Program that will start on Saturday morning, August 12, 2017 and end on Friday evening, August 18, 2017 at 17:00 hrs. This program will include additional activities before and after the regular congress scientific program. Therefore an arrival on Friday, August 11, 2017 is necessary.
ISS Foundation, c/o ISS/SIC
Nopadol Wora-Urai, President, ISS/SIC Foundation
Michael G. Sarr, Secretary-Treasurer, ISS/SIC Foundation